So this has been a bit of a nightmare..

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So this has been a bit of a nightmare..

hoober
Every year, I make a point to see how various esoteric distros are doing such as this one, and I am not too surprised to see not much has changed here.

I had to use web archive to grab the necessary iso, because the link the website hosts was down.. thank goodness it was a recent version.

So then I tried to actually install it, only I couldn't, because it doesn't think the remote repos exist. So I tried again the next day and it worked, whew.  Except..

NTP seems to be broken, portsnap is not working either.  So I gave up, I found another machine to use that would work with one of the ISOs that was actually available for download and reinstalled it, same issues.

So then I tried to install nano... Only, it wants me to manually install a bazillion dependencies, which it wants me to install individually because mports install does not want to accept multipl epackages as arguments..

Now for x... which, was my understanding that midnight bsd came with a neat gnustep based DE. It does not, anyways, I installed x, dbus, hal and enabled them. But, X doesn't start. No devices found, all I can say is
What the fuck is this broken vaporware? WHY are people still working on this when it is still like this in the year of 2020

Scratching this off my list of operating systems to check on and evaluate yearly, I just cannot take this shit seriously at all. It is almost as big a joke as furybsd
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: So this has been a bit of a nightmare..

laffer1
Administrator
ntpd and portsnap should be working fine.  Sounds like you were having some networking issues.  

mport does have some issues on updates with new dependencies but mport install should pull down everything needed in one go with the latest version.  

mport install nano

Without more information on the hardware in use, I can't really help with the X issue.