[SOLVED] Xorg failed to Start--No devices to configure

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

[SOLVED] Xorg failed to Start--No devices to configure

This post was updated on .
Hello Everyone!
In this post,I want to report a Bug in MidnightBSD (1.2 i386)

My CPU is Intel J1900 and the RAM is 4G (DDR3)
I want to install a Graphical Environment,and followed the Document to install Xorg using "mport install Xorg"
After installation, I tried to start X using "strax"(Version 7.7_2),the screen become very WEIRD.
Half of the screen filled with weird letters.When I move mouse,the patterns moves as well.
BUT I can't EXIT IT!!!

At first,I consider the reason is bad installation,
I tried to reinstall the software,but the problem continues.

After a hour debugging ,I got a ERROR message :

"[  1229.225] No devices to configure.  Configuration failed."
(For more details,the Complete Xorg Log File)

A day later ,I try new machine and installed again.
(Intel i7-370 with individual graphic card MSI R6670 2G and mother board H55M-E33)
But it FAILED again with the same error message.

Therefore,I think it is a BIG-Bug for the 32bit version.
By the way,Linux Distribution like Debian works perfectly OK.
And before it jump to graphical desktop,it will change to optimize resolution.
Is this cause the Xorg failed to start?

I hope somebody can give me a hand!
Thank you!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg failed to Start--No devices to configure

A week later,I try the 64-bit version of Midnight BSD
I did the same thing,and succeed in entering the Twm.problem solved.
Conclusion:the mport database must somewhere be wrong.At least the 32-bit version.

By the way, the xcalc couldn't run due to the following error:
Warning:Cannot convert string "8x13" to type FontStruct
Warning:Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning:Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error:Aborting:no font found

I try a fresh reinstall, the same error again

the mport verify says:(I just show a part of it)

Verifying font-adobe-100dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir 324b3a389ea1d979d2c98afbc3db2d8b 6a40bf63b294103cb03f5cdb78bb614d
Verifying font-adobe-75dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir b8944d96f66cd7e983076c045d822fc4 ae7193d4fafe9f1b728c7a4ce5651c6c
Verifying font-adobe-utopia-100dpi-1.0.4_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir 324b3a389ea1d979d2c98afbc3db2d8b 6a490b8c499db70be3771e471ec3f29a
Verifying font-adobe-utopia-75dpi-1.0.4_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir b8944d96f66cd7e983076c045d822fc4 79cd78ad39a8cf96100deb79bdcb64da
Verifying font-adobe-utopia-type1-1.0.4_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1/fonts.scale 139a633427cf97fc429caf5bd78c5bc5 74f01c6a5a4c4a2b45b55f57f1e462ad
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1/fonts.dir 139a633427cf97fc429caf5bd78c5bc5 74f01c6a5a4c4a2b45b55f57f1e462ad

Verifying font-alias-1.0.3_2
Verifying font-arabic-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-bh-100dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir 324b3a389ea1d979d2c98afbc3db2d8b 45f435afcb87138b8bcfe17e01723778
Verifying font-bh-75dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir b8944d96f66cd7e983076c045d822fc4 65dc5c0b68b1acad11b1496cfefe72b3
Verifying font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir 324b3a389ea1d979d2c98afbc3db2d8b c782f7bfddb84001ae36aa916b1e346b
Verifying font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir b8944d96f66cd7e983076c045d822fc4 2c22c8e3435ec5b2eb4d147abb9cace1

Verifying font-bh-ttf-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-bh-type1-1.0.3
Verifying font-bitstream-100dpi-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-bitstream-75dpi-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-bitstream-type1-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-cronyx-cyrillic-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/cyrillic/fonts.dir 891f7e89327f9c5c0bea1f85c6fa439a b51c7644d2dc76033c33f18a90e35396

Verifying font-cursor-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-daewoo-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-dec-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-ibm-type1-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-isas-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-jis-misc-1.0.3_1
Verifying font-micro-misc-1.0.3
Verifying font-misc-cyrillic-1.0.3_1
Checksum mismatch: /usr/local/share/fonts/cyrillic/fonts.dir 891f7e89327f9c5c0bea1f85c6fa439a 6de565fc08e679b2113caf95e69e25cf

Hope the maintainer will fix it soon.
Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg failed to Start--No devices to configure

There are some problems with font paths getting set.  We recently updated the xorg-server port to change how this is done but it isn't available in packages yet.  Manually setting font paths or updating to the new mports version should fix that.

Additionally, we had some outdated packages at the time you were doing this.  Both amd64 and i386 packages have been updated 2 times since then.  I think this should resolve a lot of these issues.

I wouldn't worry about the checksum mismatch.  Those files can get regenerated in some cases.