How to install VLC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to install VLC

jacco123
Hello. I have installed Midnight bsd on a old acer laptop and everything works fine .
I have wifi internet and xwindows works .
But sometimes it react slowly .
Must i install nvidia drivers ?
But now i want to install vlc and i cannot find a mport for vlc.
How can i install vlc with all codecs on midnight bsd?
On freebsd i can find a vlc package.
Must i install that package from freebsd?
Thx

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to install VLC

laffer1
Administrator
It might be possible to get a freebsd package to work, although you'd need similar versions of the dependencies. I will look into adding a VLC package on our side.  It's been a few years since I've looked at that. Often just getting the appropriate gstreamer libraries and using a browser or xine were adequate for me.

If you have an NVIDIA GPU, the nvidia binary driver might provide better performance.  Running without a native driver can cause higher CPU usage and some lag when playing videos.  You can also try the nv driver if you want to stick to open source.  There should be a package for nv but you might need to install the nvidia driver from mports.  x11/nvidia-driver

I am using the nvidia-driver on my gaming rig (it dual boots), and it works quite well with my 1080ti.  

Laptops can be a bit trickier as they sometimes use the "optimus" tech where it uses two different GPUs depending on the power requirements. There's often a setting in the bios to force one or the other.  If this laptop has an older intel CPU with integrated graphics also, you might even be able to get acceleration working on 2.0-CURRENT as we recently updated that.  I think the 1.2 version supports older CPUs through ivybridge and a few haswell models but not all.  I don't run a lot of intel gear anymore so it's harder for me to test this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to install VLC

laffer1
Administrator
There's now a VLC port, but I've only tested it on my laptop running 2.0 current amd64. No package builds yet and not all options are going to work.  If you try to build on 1.2, disable dav1d for now.