GUI not displaying properly

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GUI not displaying properly

Mlezcano
This might be an issue with the laptop I am using as I had issues with NomadBSD.

Few notes,

normal install with graphical user interface until it got up to installing the "midnightBSD-graphical-interface" package(I probably have the name of that wrong, just pulling it out of memory) it said it failed because it requires bash. So I did "mport install bash" with success and rebooted.

on reboot I get the login screen(the graphical one). after logging in I get a flash of what might be the desktop but then the screen goes black.Possibly unsupported resolution? I am using a Dell Latitude E6430 for reference.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GUI not displaying properly

Mlezcano
I tried to re-install the whole os, this time doing both

mport install bash
mport install midnightbsd-desktop

both installed, no dice.
Reply | Threaded
|

laffer1
Administrator
There is a known issue that is fixed in 2.0.4 with the login part.

The fix is to create an .xinitrc file in your home directory of the user you're trying to login as.  

If you are using window maker, add this to ~/.xinitrc :

exec wmaker

GOM
Reply | Threaded
|

GOM
Hi Laffer,

Noob here. I think I have the same problem.

There is no .xinitrc in my root or my user's account home dir. When you say "create an .xinitrc," I hear "use vi to make a file containing the one thing I just told you to put in it." Is that really what you meant?

Is there's a thing to generate one?

Thanks,

GOM
Reply | Threaded
|

laffer1
Administrator
Newer releases should create one automatically as it's in /usr/share/skel now.  If you upgraded, you can copy it from that directory.

For older releases, you do need to create the file using a text editor, although it doesn't have to be vi.  In the base system, ee or mined are easier to use for most people, or you could install nano from packages.